After making ham stock with the Christmas Eve ham bone, I looked around for some inspiration and developed the following recipe. I saw several recipes for Portuguese soups, but many of them contained beans. I took a few ingredients from several recipes and came up with this dish. Pretty tasty if I do say so myself!
“Portuguese Style” Sausage and Potato Soup
- 1/2 onion, diced small
- 2 carrots, diced small
- 2 celery stalks, diced small
- 1 Tablespoon ghee or raw milk butter
- 12 ounces Chorizo or Anduoille sausage, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 6-8 ounces of ham, diced or shredded
- 8 cups homemade ham stock or chicken stock
- 3 medium red skin potatoes, peeled and diced small
- a 14.5 ounce can of unsalted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- one bunch of kale, roughly chopped
- freshly ground black pepper and sea salt to taste
What to do:
In a large stock pot, melt the ghee or butter. Add the onion, carrots, and celery. Saute for 3-4 minutes. Add in the sausage and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add in the ham, stock, potatoes, tomatoes, and paprika. Simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are almost cooked through. Add in the kale and simmer for 5 additional minutes. Make sure the potatoes are cooked through. Taste for seasoning and add sea salt and freshly ground pepper as needed.
Yield 6-8 servings.
This recipe was shared at Kelly the Kitchen Kop.