Alex and I love Thai food, but we are not fans of the added sugars, peanuts, and industrial seed oils that are often used in Thai restaurants. This soup is a great make at home meal to appease the Thai craving. I used fish (Mahi Mahi) as the protein in this batch, but chicken or shrimp would work as well. Homemade bone broth adds a delicious, comforting flavor as well as a host of health benefits. Please see the above link for further details on all the goodness of stock.
This is a one pot meal that is equally delicious and satisfying on a cold winter night or a sunny summer evening. Enjoy!
Thai Style Soup
- 6 cups of homemade chicken or turkey stock
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 serrano chiles, seeded and diced fine
- 1 Tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- Zest of one lemon
- Zest of 1/2 a lime
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons fish sauce
- 6 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and tops sliced thinly
- 1 13.5 ounce can of full fat coconut milk
- 6 ounce bag of baby spinach
- 1 pound of firm white fish, cut into 1/2 cubes (feel free to substitute chicken sliced thinly or shrimp)
- Optional garnishes: thinly sliced green onions or chopped cilantro
What to do:
In a large sauce pan or stock pot, stir together the broth, garlic, chiles, ginger, lemon and lime zest, lime juice, and fish sauce. Bring to a simmer and then add the fish, chicken, or shrimp. Also add in the mushrooms and coconut milk. Return to a simmer and continue to cook until the meat or fish is cooked through. The fish I used was done in less then 5 minutes. Add the spinach to the pot and stir to combine. Once the spinach wilts, remove the soup from the heat and serve. Top with optional garnishes.
I found that the soup was perfectly seasoned as is, but taste yours and adjust with additional fish sauce or sea salt as needed.
Yield 6 servings.Standard FTC Disclosure: This post may contain links to products that will earn me a small commission. The price is the same to you, but purchasing through these links will help to support this blog. Know that I will never recommend a product that I have not personally used and liked. This is so good... is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.