So this recipe isn’t really mine. It is a compilation of three other people’s good ideas. Maybe I get a little credit for putting it all together (haha)! A few weeks ago Alex mentioned that he had a taste for BBQ chicken. Several days later I was with my friend, Katie, and she mentioned a cool trick for shredding chicken. She told me that placing hot from the oven chicken in her Kitchen Aid mixer (fitted with the paddle attachment), made quick work of shredding the meat. I HAD TO TRY THIS! I love cool kitchen tricks! And, yes, this one works amazingly well! So with the help of my sister’s BBQ sauce recipe, Katie’s awesome tip, and Alex’s hankering for BBQ meat, Shredded Chicken Thighs with Spicy BBQ Sauce was born…
Shredded Chicken Thighs with Spicy BBQ Sauce
- 2 pounds of organic (pastured if available) chicken thighs – you can substitute chicken breasts, but I prefer the taste of thighs in this dish
- 2-3 Tablespoons of Emeril’s Essence Seasoning (see recipe below) – this recipe makes quite a bit of seasoning blend. No worries! This tasty blend is delicious on just about anything: baked chicken, ground beef, beef stew, Spicy Salmon with Lime in Parchment!
- A batch of Homemade BBQ Sauce – this is my sister’s recipe and it is amazing! I love hot food and this one is SPICY! To tame it down a little, decrease the cayenne pepper to 1 teaspoon or eliminate it all together for a more mild sauce
Ingredients (Emeril’s Essence):
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons paprika
- 2 Tablespoons sea salt
- 2 Tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 Tablespoon dried thyme
What to do:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the chicken in a single layer in a large baking dish. Sprinkle the seasoning over the chicken and bake it in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. If you have a Kitchen Aid mixer, throw a few thighs (do this in batches of 3-4 thighs at a time) in the mixer on low speed as soon as you remove them from the oven. SO COOL – the meat is shredded in no time! If you don’t have a mixer, let the meat cool a little so you can handle it and pull it apart with 2 forks or your hands. Place all of the shredded meat in a large bowl and mix in as much warm BBQ sauce as you would like. Mmm…enjoy!
I served the chicken with my version of Ty’s Thai Apple Salad – I deleted one granny smith apple and added 1/4 of a cabbage shredded thinly.
Sweet potato fries are another great addition to this meal!Standard FTC Disclosure: This post may contain links to products that will earn me a small commission. The price is the same to you, but purchasing through these links will help to support this blog. Know that I will never recommend a product that I have not personally used and liked. This is so good... is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.