So earlier this week I was perusing the vast interwebs for short ribs recipes. After seeing a number of awesome looking recipes, an idea popped into my head. Round up these recipes and share them with you! So for now, this will be a new semi-weekly feature on This is so Good… For each post, I will pick a new Tasty Theme and gather some of the best the Web has to offer. After compiling the list, I’ll share it with you guys! If you have any special requests or if you have a recipe that fits the theme, please send them my way!
Now, on to this weeks Tasty Theme: Beef Short Ribs! I absolutely love tender, slow-cooked short ribs. When they are done right, the meat falls off the bones and it is comfort food at it’s finest. There are three types of beef short ribs – English-cut, Flanken-cut, and Boneless. English-cut are separated along the bone and are usually found in two inch pieces. These guys are my personal favorite and I just brought home 25 pounds of them from my farm share. They are perfect for braising or slow-cooking (releasing lots of collagen into the braising liquid) or grilled. Flanken-cut are cut across the bones. I’m not very familiar with this cut, and have never prepared it. It looks to be ideal for braising, but can also be done on the grill (although they may be a little chewy). Boneless are, well, boneless. This cut is good for braising or for slicing thinly and searing.
So now that we know a little more about beef short ribs, let’s get to the recipes!
Since I am the most familiar with English-cut short ribs, I’ll start with those:
- Beer-Braised Short Ribs from The Primal Recipe Archive – This recipe comes from my sister’s blog and is the next one on my list to try. She used Gluten-free beer. I think a hard cider might work as well!
- Classic Braised Short Ribs from The Domestic Man – A very traditional looking braised beef dish, full of classic flavors from fresh herbs, red wine, and veggies.
- Slow Cooker Korean Short Ribs from Nom Nom Paleo – I love, love, love this recipe! I’ve made it 3 times already and it is so good.
- Beef Short Ribs Braised in Red Wine from She Cooks He Cleans – Another classic looking braised beef dish, but I love the idea of adding anchovy paste for a hit of umami!
- Balsamic Braised Beef Short Ribs from Joyful Healthy Eats – Sounds slightly sweet and deliciously savory at the same time. Yum!
- Grilled and Braised Short Ribs from The Domestic Man
- Braised Short Ribs from Primal Palate – Mmm…bacon.
- Thyme-Braised Short Ribs from The Clothes Make the Girl
- Asian-Style Beef Short Ribs with Julienned Leeks from Fine Cooking – Sub coconut aminos for the soy sauce and leave out the sugar.
- Beef Short Ribs from Virginia is for Hunter Gatherers – Simple and tasty!
- Slow Cooker Beef Short Ribs from Living Low Carb One Day at a Time
- Crockpot Coffee Ancho Chile Short Ribs from PaleOMG
Here’s a few Frankenstein, I mean Flanken-cut, recipes:
- Downhome Barbecue Beef Short Ribs from Tyler Florence – I would leave out the brown sugar and I think it would be just as delicious!
- Sun-Dried Tomato and Fennel Braised Short Ribs with Pepper and Carrot Puree from Arsy Vartanian – Oh, it all sound so good!
- Korean-Style Short Ribs from Mark’s Daily Apple – Sweetened with fruit and grilled.
- Korean BBQ Ribs (Kalbi) from Crunchy Mama
And some yummy Boneless short ribs noms for you to try:
- Braised Thai Green Curry with Boneless Beef Short Ribs from Nom Nom Paleo
- Oven Braised Mexican Beef from Nom Nom Paleo – Looks super easy to throw together!
- Barbecue Boneless Beef Short Ribs from The Domestic Man – Hickory smoked!
- Paleo Salsa Short Rib Stew from Meatified
- Tender Grilled Boneless Short Ribs from Serious Eats – So simple!
So as you can see, there is no shortage of mouth watering short ribs recipes out there. Do you have a favorite? Send it over and I will add it to the list!
Enjoy!!Standard FTC Disclosure: This post may contain links to products that will earn me a small commission. The price is the same to you, but purchasing through these links will help to support this blog. Know that I will never recommend a product that I have not personally used and liked. This is so good... is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.