Fruit is one of my favorite snacks and it makes for a great sweet treat! Fruit is naturally sweet and sometimes just a dash of spice or a squirt of lemon or lime (like I did with mangoes in this post) takes it to a whole new level of deliciousness.
We are nearing the end of apple season in Michigan and I had a 1/2 bushel in my refrigerator waiting for me. It was originally destined to be applesauce, but I still have several jars from last year in my pantry, so I decided to head in another direction. Some of those apples did make their way into homemade apple sauce, which I then used in my Apple Pie Granola. The rest of them turned into apple chips!
I used two kitchen gadgets for these chips, my dehydrator and an apple peeler corer slicer. You most certainly do not need either of these items to make the apple chips, but I had them and it makes for quick work when getting through a large bag of apples. If you are using a dehydrator, I recommend using some screens for quick removal of the chips.
These chips are great as is, but you can use them in other ways too. You can chop them up and add them to trail mix, mix them into gluten-free muffins, or top some Paleo n’oatmeal with them. Keep them stored in some Mason jars in your pantry.
- Medium to large size apples (You can make as many chips as you want. I suggest getting your hands on local, organic apples if possible.)
- Cinnamon (here or here)
- Peel, core and slice the apples. If you are not using a peeler corer slicer, slice the apples fairly thin - about 1/8 inch.
- Lay the apples out on your screen lined dehydrator trays or on a parchment lined baking sheet. They can be close together, but not overlapping.
- Sprinkle the apple slices with cinnamon.
- Set your dehydrator to 135 degrees and let it go for 4-6 hours. They longer the apples stay in, the crispier they will be.
- If you do not have a dehydrator, you could set your oven to it's lowest temperature and bake the apples until they are crisp. Probably a couple of hours.
(This post contains affiliate links for products that I like and use. I would never recommend a product to you that I haven’t tried and loved! By purchasing products through these links, you help to support this website and keep it’s content free. Plus, you put a huge smile on my face – Thank you!!)