We love Mexican food around here! Today’s recipe for Mexican Cauli-rice is the perfect side dish to any Mexican meal. I try to do a taco night at least once a month, usually two times. Fajitas are another favorite and I love them whether they are chicken, beef, or pork! My favorite Mexican dishes are also pretty easy to prepare and can be made in large quantities – bonus for this time of year when everyone is so busy.
Although the main dish is always delicious and satisfying, I love having tasty sides to go along with my meals. Adding lots of veggies is a great way to stretch a meal for another night or two. And I’m all about leftovers. As much as I love to cook, I do not enjoy it after a 10 hour workday ending at 8:00PM!
So here is my game plan when it comes to Mexican night: prepare 2-3 pounds of meat, make a giant bowl of Easy Guacamole, sauté up a frying pan full of peppers and onions, and make a batch of Mexican Cauli-rice. With any luck, this will last us 2-3 days (depends on how crazy Alex gets in the gym).
This recipe looks complicated, but is actually quite easy. The only piece of special equipment you need is a food processor with a shredder blade. I’m sure this could also be done on a box grater, it would just take a little more time. If you are lucky enough to live near a Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods, you can now find shredded cauliflower in the frozen vegetable section! I highly recommend NOT skipping the lime juice, cilantro (use parsley if your are averse to cilantro), and the fresh Roma tomato – they really brighten up the flavors of the dish and make it look pretty and festive!
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, cored and shredded in a food processor to look like rice
- 1 Tablespoon ghee
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more if you like it spicier)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup chicken broth homemade or a clean store bought version (Or use vegetable stock for vegan option.)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons minced cilantro or parsley
- 1 Roma tomato, seeded and diced
- Melt the ghee over medium heat in a large sauté pan. Add the diced onion and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the shredded cauliflower to the pan and cook for about 3-5 minutes or until just starting to soften.
- Add the minced jalapeño, cumin, paprika, cayenne, and sea salt. Stir well to combine.
- Add the chicken broth and the tomato paste and continue stirring over medium heat until the tomato paste is evenly distributed.
- Continue cooking for another 5-10 minutes. The cauli-rice is done when it has softened, but still has a little bite to it (al dente).
- Remove from the heat and stir in the lime juice and cilantro or parsley.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and top with the fresh tomato.
Enjoy!!Standard FTC Disclosure: This post may contain links to products that will earn me a small commission. The price is the same to you, but purchasing through these links will help to support this blog. Know that I will never recommend a product that I have not personally used and liked. This is so good... is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.