I do my best to meal plan, but sometimes dinner is a little last minute. A few weeks ago, I asked Alex how he wanted me to prepare the fresh Salmon that we just brought home from the grocery store. He answered “blackened”. Well, that sounded great, but the blackening seasoning that I had in the pantry was about two years old and it had some sugar in it. So in a last minute hustle, I grabbed some spices out of the pantry and came up with my own spice blend!
I’ve done this before with taco seasoning and Montreal Steak seasoning. Both times the outcome was delicious and I haven’t bought either pre-made since! This time was no exception. I made the homemade blackening seasoning without sugar and with organic spices from my pantry and it was delicious! So good, that a few days later I put it on some shrimp and served them over zoodles – noms!
This recipe makes enough blackening seasoning for a few meals, but if you think you will use it more often, just double or triple the recipe and store it in a glass jar along with your other spices.
This seasoning would be delicious on grilled chicken, fish, shrimp, scallops, pork chops… Give it a try on your favorite protein!
- 1 Tablespoon paprika (here or here)
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne (here or here)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder (here or here)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (here or here)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme (here or here)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (here or here)
- Add oll of the above ingredients to a glass jar. Put the lid on and shake to mix.
- Sprinkle it on your favorite protein, cook or grill, and enjoy!
Have you ever made you own spice blends? Tell me about it in the comments!
(This post contains affiliate links for products that I like and use. I would never recommend a product to you that I haven’t tried and loved! By purchasing products through these links, you help to support this website and keep it’s content free. Plus, you put a huge smile on my face – Thank you!!)