I used to think of carrots as a ho-hum vegetable. Sure they were great for flavoring stocks and made a nice addition to salads, but they were never the star side dish on my table. Until one day when I ran out of other vegetables and needed a side for our meal. I looked at that lonely bag of carrots, peeled and cut them, and threw them in the oven. Carrots are no longer the boring veggie in my fridge, they are one of my go-tos! If you’ve never tried roasting carrots, you are missing out. This simple recipe for Turmeric Roasted Carrots will make you a believer.
Orange just happens to be my favorite color, so of course the color of good old orange carrots makes me happy. But have you ever grabbed a bunch of multi-color carrots from your farmer’s market or grocery store? The bright beautiful colors of multi-color carrots makes this dish pop even more. If you can find them, I highly recommend snagging a bunch for these Turmeric Roasted Carrots.
So why turmeric? If you aren’t familiar with this little root yet, I’ll explain why I try to use it as much as possible. Turmeric contains curcumin, which is responsible for the gorgeous yellow color of this delicious spice. Curcumin boosts the immune system and strengthens your digestive system. It also supports joint health and can help decrease inflammation/pain from acute orthopedic injuries. I love adding it to curries and other Indian dishes, but I also like to sneak it into sweeter foods too like smoothies and gummies.
- 2 pounds of carrots, peeled and cut into 3 inch sticks (I love to use multi-color carrots for this dish, but good old orange ones are delicious too!)
- 3 tablespoons fat of your choosing: olive oil, avocado oil, melted ghee, or melted coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place all of the above ingredients on the lined baking sheet and toss with tongs to coat the carrots with the fat and seasonings.
- Place in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and see the tongs to toss the carrots again.
- Place the baking sheet back in the oven for another 15-20 minutes or until the carrots are softened lightly browned.
Have you ever had roasted carrots? Do you use turmeric in your cooking too? Tell me about it in the comments!
Don’t for get to join us on Pinterest for more great recipes like this one!