Last weekend we headed out to the farmer’s market with 2 things on our list – Michigan strawberries and kale. Check and check. I never leave without several items that I didn’t plan on getting. This time garlic scapes were on almost every table, so I grabbed a bunch.
Garlic scapes are crazy looking stringy green things. They are the flower stalk from a garlic plant. They smell and taste like – you guessed it – garlic! So they are perfect for stir-frys and veggies medleys.
The recipe below is my take on one of Nom Nom Paleo’s quick dinners. I love meals with minimal prep and my version fits the bill. As much as I love ground beef (and you could certainly substitute it in this recipe), I love the pairing of Chinese Five Spice with pork. If garlic scapes aren’t in season or you just can’t get you hands on them, a few cloves of minced garlic will do the trick.
I ate this dish as is, but Alex chose to pair it with white rice. Your call – it’s yummy either way!
Five Spice Pork with Broccoli, Carrots, and Garlic Scapes
- 2 pounds of pastured ground pork
- 3 cups of broccoli slaw (I used the organic pre-made version from Trader Joe’s.)
- 1 cup shredded carrots (We always have pre-shredded carrots available for salads, so I just used that.)
- 5 garlic scapes, cut into 1 inch pieces OR 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon Chinese Five Spice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 Tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- A few pinches of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1-2 Tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
What to do:
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add in the pork and break it up with a spoon. When the pork is almost completely cooked through, drain off any excess liquid. Mine had almost none so I skipped this step.
Return the skillet to the heat and add in your veggies and spices (broccoli slaw through crushed red pepper flakes), reserving the cilantro. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. When the veggies are softened, remove form the heat and stir in the cilantro.
That’s it! Simple right?
Enjoy!!(This post contains affiliate links for products that I like and use. By purchasing products through these links, you help to support this website with no additional cost to you and help to keep it’s content free. Plus, you put a huge smile on my face – Thank you!!)